alert icon





Appearance - You have a legal responsibility, as required by law, to make an appearance on your case. Your appearance date will be sent from the Court by mail advising you of the date you are required to be present. This date will be different than the date on the citation issued by the officer. You and a parent or guardian must appear in person in open court. You are not allowed to appear by mail or by phone. You have an absolute right to be accompanied by your retained attorney.

Continuing Obligation to Appear - Pursuant to Texas law, Article 45.057(j), Code of Criminal Procedure, you are being provided written notice of the following:
  1. A child and parent required to appear before the Court have an obligation to provide the Court in writing with the current address and residence of the child.
  2. The obligation does not end when the child reaches age 17.
  3. On or before the seventh day after the date the child or parent changes residence (any place where the child lives or resides for a period of at least 30 days), the child or parent shall notify the Court of the current address in the manner directed by the Court.
  4. Failure to provide notice is a Class C misdemeanor and may result in arrest.
  5. The obligation to provide notice terminates on discharge and satisfaction of the judgment or final disposition not requiring a finding of guilt.
  6. If an appellate Court accepts an appeal for a trial de novo, the child and parent shall provide the notice to the appellate Court.
CHANGES IN ADDRESS:  Changes in the Defendant's address shall be provided in writing to the Court in the following manner:   by mail,, E-mail, fax or in person.

Mandatory Alcohol and Tobacco Courses and Community Service - If you are found guilty of, or placed on deferred for, an alcohol offense the court must, by State law, order you to complete an alcohol awareness course. The court must also order that you complete a period of community service. If you are found guilty of, or placed on deferred for, a tobacco offense, the court must order you to complete a tobacco awareness course.    
Contempt - If you fail to pay the fine and costs, or violate other orders in the court's judgment, the court may hold you in contempt of court. Violation of the Court's order shall result in the Defendant being taken into custody by a peace officer and either:
  1. Referral to the County juvenile court as delinquent conduct for contempt of Municipal Court order; or
  2. Retain jurisdiction and assess a fine up to $500 and/or a Driver's License suspension until the Defendant has fully complied with the orders of this court.
Driver's License Suspension - Your license to drive may be lost if you fail to discharge your obligations in court. Your license can be suspended for:
  1. Failing to appear in court for your citation;
  2. Failing to pay or discharge your fine and cost;
  3. Failing to take and present proof of taking an alcohol or tobacco awareness course;
  4. Being held in contempt for violating the court's judgment.
A period of Driver's License suspension is also mandatory on conviction of Minor In Possession.

Expunction Rights
 - Convictions from this court are criminal convictions. You may be entitled to an expunction of the records in your case. Transportation Code offenses and traffic ordinances are an exception to this expunction provision unless the traffic offense is dismissed under deferred disposition. Then this expunction provision applies. You may then file a petition in District Court for Expunction. There is a $30 fee when filing your petition.
  • Alcohol conviction (only 1), you may petition this court for an expunction after your 21st birthday.
  • Tobacco offenses, you may petition this court for expunction after your 18th birthday.
  • Failure to Attend conviction (only 1), you may petition this court for an expunction after your 18th birthday.
  • Any other non-traffic single violation, you may petition this court for expunction after your 17th birthday.
If you have questions concerning the right to, need for, or consequences of expunction, please consult a licensed attorney.